Thread: Proposal: Leafs - Avs
View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Freaky Styley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Firstly, Ryan O'Rielly was your #1 center. He logged more minutes then Statsny in all of PPTOI/G, SHTOI/G, ESTOI/G and obviously TOI/G.

Why do you keep mentioning Luke Schenn? He is a 22 year old shutdown defenseman (who was drafted #5th overall) who was thrown into a run-and-gun offensive system with no semblance of a competent goaltender playing behind him. Furthermore, he has been able to improve both offensively and defensively each season seeing his stats increase since his rookie season. Not to mention he had enough value to return a recent 23year old 2nd overall winger which one would consider "pretty good value."

I'm also sorry to break it to you but a ~20G-50ish point center with no defensive ability is not some incredibly elusive trading piece. Now factor in that Statsny is grossly overpaid at 6.6M per season and has seen his points decline in each of the last 3 seasons, I think its fair to assume his value isn't at an all-time high.

For example, Mike Riberio(32 year old, 5M/year) a center who has averaged 23G-75pts over the last 5 seasons and is fresh off a 18G-63pt campaign (in which he missed 8 games) recently returned just Cody Eakin (85th overall in 2009/HockeysFuture 6.5B) and a 2012 2nd-round draft pick (54th overall).

Furthermore, Derek Roy(29 year old, 4M/year) a center who has averaged 28G-69pts over his past 5 seasons returned just Steve Ott (3rd line agitator/defensive center) and Adam Pardy (fringe NHL defenseman).

So what makes Paul Statsny's value differ so heavily from Mike Riberio's or Derek Roy's?

Is he younger? Yes. However, is his cap hit considerably higher? Yes.
Is he a better goalscorer then Roy? No.
Is he a better playmaker then Riberio? No.
Is he an impressive playoff player? Nope.
Is he large, physical or defensively capable? No, no and no.

Out of Colorado's 3 centers, Paul Statsny is by far the one I want least. Matt Duchene is young, speedy and offensively gifted, I would begrudgingly give this package for him even after his disappointing season. Ryan O'Rielly is a young great defensive center, but in terms of offensive ability he is largely unproven. I would not give up this package for him, as we have been burned too many times in the past with players who are not proven. Paul Statsny is declining and his cap hit is too high for what he brings to the table. Do I think he would look good between Lupul & Kessel? Yes. But not at the cost of a top 6 winger (MacArthur), our top 3 prospect (Colborne) and our most promising young NHL defenseman (Gardiner).
You lost all credibility with that first sentence, and the second is exactly why we don't plan on trading him any time soon. Much more value to us than he would get on the market right now.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote