View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Islander102

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
The trolling is particularly distasteful in my opinion.

As a Canucks fan, we have things good. But we didn't always. Just over a decade ago, one Brian Burke was threatening to move the franchise. It was a disgusting feeling.

And that is only minor to what Coyotes fans have gone through over the last few years.

I get that fans in certain markets are desperate for hockey. And I think they deserve hockey.

But Phoenix fans deserve hockey as well. Perhaps the economics just won't work out. But, at the end of the day, it's our love of hockey that brings us together. It doesn't matter where you live or what your background is. Belittling another fan because they're different is low. It's unseemly. It's wrong.

And it shouldn't be reduced to a zero sum game. If the Coyotes don't survive in the Phoenix market, then I hope there is access to quality hockey there when they leave. Personally, I think it would be fantastic to have a Canucks farm team there. From what we've heard, the players think that there should be hockey in Phoenix. They enjoy playing there and think it's a great city.

You would think that fans in markets that have lost hockey would be more empathetic. As a hockey fan, if you aren't, then there is something wrong with you. Because even if the franchise does move to your market, you can't separate the fact that the players have history there. And you can hope that the management team and coaching staff comes with them, because they've proven to be among the best in the business. They deserve credit for what they've achieved.
Excellent post. As an Islanders fan, I have had a complete knot in my stomach since the year 2008. I rarely miss a home game, and the team I love was in very real danger of leaving for good. Every time I watched or attended a game, relocation, losing the team I love, them eventually turning things around in another city was always in the back of my mind. It was an AWFUL feeling. The team you love, that you grew up with, that became your second home every winter, just skipping town and leaving. Disgusting feeling sums it up perfectly.

And even that is just a fraction of what Coyotes fans are feeling. To see fans from cities that a) went through that very same feeling, and b) actually had it culminate in the loss of their team, try and will the Coyotes out of their home is mind boggling. The Islanders situation scarred me to the point where I'll be upset to see any franchise in any sport move because I know how some people will be affected, and the Islanders didn't even wind up moving.

I know Phoenix might not be the best hockey market out there, but think of it this way. If you grew up in QC, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Markham, hockey has been in your blood since birth. You were raised on hockey, you were brought up in a culture where your parents watched hockey, your friends watched hockey, everyone played hockey. By hook or by crook, you were going to love hockey. If you're from Phoenix, that wasn't the case with you. The fans in Phoenix had to go out and find the sport, give it a chance, despite likely never having played it, or watched it, and the sport not being a part of their culture, only to eventually fall in love with the sport and their team the same as the majority of people up north did. If you love hockey, those fans are as good as it gets, even if they aren't particularly large in number, because they went out and fell in love with the sport on their own, nobody raised them on it. If the Coyotes don't work out, it will be sad, but out of respect for the sport that caused everyone to be a member here, stop trashing what are great fans in Phoenix. Especially if you know first hand what it is like to invest yourself emotionally in a team even while knowing they have a foot out the door.