View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
It takes the pressure off the kid. He seems to perform better as the reliever. Starting and relieving are different and some guys are better coming off the bench. If I was the coach, I might announce Friday that Joseph is starting and tell the team that the plan is to let Joseph run through Q1, then Nichols goes in. The offense plays differently under Nichols than Joseph. You can read it in their body language and their enthusiasm when Matt is at the helm. Notice I never said I would do the above. I'd start Nichols and tell him it's his job to lose. However, I think Joseph gets the start but both will play.
Nichols is obviously more comfortable coming in as a reliever at this point and does not look as comfortable starting games. As much as people state theres no point putting Joseph in in the first quarter theres no point doing that with Nichols and having him have the pressure of a full 60mins playoff contest which frankly he doesn't look quite ready for. Let him look at some of the game from the sidelines, calm down a bit, breathe, and get in the game when he's comfortable. I guarantee you Nichols is REALLY getting excited right now but huge potential for him to be overexcited. We know with QB's when a guy is too jacked and things start going south its all over. Young QB's being especially vulnerable to this.

Better to let Nichols feel his way into the game. If Nichols goes cold, or loses his confidence out there what else do we got?

I suspect the Eskimos will manage it right with Nichols. Unless the offense is running well with Joseph and we establish the run/short game early I expect to see Nichols by the second quarter.

Finally, theres absolutely no value telling the world, and the Argos that Nichols is starting and it would be frankly stupid to do that. Keep the opponent in doubt, don't tip your hand in anyway.

This is what is supposed to occur.