View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 08:09 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
The funny thing is Ovechkin put up 106 and 92 Pts respectively in his first 2 seasons when he had absolutely no offensive help.

He starts to regress offensively and people want to use the excuse that his linemates were hurt?

Truly great players can put up the numbers regardless of who their linemates are.

If Ovechkin can't do that then he's honestly not worthy of being considered elite. He simply becomes a player who is a product of elite teammates/ linemates and an offensive system that allows him to just score and not bother to forecheck.

I personally don't think that it's the linemate thing that has hindered Ovechkin over the last 2 seasons.

As for your assist argument, when you shoot 400+ times a year on average, you're bound to create a few rebounds that your teammates will pot in. I'd be interested to see how many of those 52 assists a year were actual passes and not rebounds.

Bure had a few 40 + assists seasons in his prime to go along with his goals, did that make him a good passer? Ovechkin also played on a powerplay that was ridiculously stacked offensively. If he didn't average 52 assists playing with Semin, Backstrom, Green and company then I think something would have been wrong.

Give Malkin that kind of support for instance and he would have averaged 80 assists.
I love how you bash ovechkin, but completely ignore that the team goals per game average dropped over 1.15 goals. That's not ovechkin's fault. If there's that drastic of a change in scoring there's something wrong with the coaching/system.