View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 10:36 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'd say predictable over unacceptable. The players are complete morons for thinking they wouldn't have to deal with a salary rollback. I mean come on, everybody knew that was coming. Now they're saying it's unbelievable and unacceptable that the crazy deals they were signed to needs adjusting?
In negotiations, you tend to have give and take. The owners are demanding a 12.3% reduced player share of total income, from 57% to 50%. It makes sense that the players get to make their own demand: that the reduction be phased in so as to honour current contracts.

Note that this is still a net win for the owners. The bottom line is that they get a bigger slice of the pie, the only question is whether it's immediate or whether it's phase in over a few years.

I don't think it's foolish of the players to believe that they could extract minor concessions. If you were a player, you would not have entered this lockout expecting to lose on every single front with zero exceptions.

Quote:
Really think Kovalchuk can't live with making 7M over 11?
Really think Geoff Molson can't live with making 40M over 55?

Quote:
The reason why he doesn't want the rollback is because he's signed until 2025, which is completely ridiculous to begin with. 14 year contract that has him make as high as 11.8M and as low as 1M??
The roll backs will also negatively impact players like Pacioretty.

The Kovalchuk-type contracts have absolutely nothing to do with the lockout. The players are making 57% either way. There would still be a lockout even if every player in the league was getting paid his cap hit. The Kovalchuk contracts doesn't take money away from owners, it takes money away from other players, like all other contracts, because the total salary pool is fixed at 57%.

Quote:
But everybody knew the league was going to address that issue.
Evidence? I know this was in the first offer, but what about latter offers?

Quote:
As I said, at the end of the day, those players will still be millionaires living out their dreams. Doesn't mean they should abide to everything the owners/nhl say, but salary rollback was easily predictable, and having that hardheaded no answer is just not going to help anything.
At the end of the day, the owners will still be billionaires living out their dreams.

Salary rollbacks were not trivially predictable. Ask the players who gave the owners everything they wanted last lockout if they expected another lockout a meager 7 years later. Even Gary Bettman said that the lockout fixed everything, because the owners now had cost certainty.

That said, due to the lack of revenue sharing, and if you knew about the rise in Canadian dollar, salary rollbacks were predictable in my view, but you would have needed advanced economic analysis to realize that all of the owner's gains (~270% since last lockout compared to ~80% for the players) would evaporate; and certainly the rise of the Canadian dollar from US $0.85 to US$ 1.00 was not predicted.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-06-2012 at 10:56 PM.