Old
05-19-2006, 03:37 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19
A good Pacific War movie that hasn't been mentioned is The Thin Red Line. When I first saw it it bored the hell out of me (I was just a teen wanting non-stop killing) but now I love it.
You know I never could take a liking to the Red Thin Line, I don't know really why - maybe it was a little too deep if you know what I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong, it is a fine movie with great acting - especially Nick Notte character - maybe because it came out right after Saving Private Ryan.

Kinda the same way with Platoon and Full Metal Jacket which also came out the same year, I loved Platoon and I LOVED the first half of Full Metal Jacket, some of the best movie making I have ever seen, but he second half of that movie when they go to Vietnam left alot to desire. I mean the combat scenes were good but compared to Platoon's combat scenes IMO it didn't come close to matching it, mostly because Oliver Stone was able to capture the intensity of combat like no one had ever done before.

Alot like how The Red Thin Line failed to match of Saving Private Ryan combat scenes, which is the best I have ever seen on screen hands down.

I read that the opening scene to Private Ryan and the whole movie itself was so moving to the veterans of D-Day and especially of those who fought at Normandy that some of them sent their war medals to Steven Spielberg out of appreciation of depicting what it was like for them.