View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I do believe in 96 for sure. 98.. do they get past Hasek with him? Maybe, but Hasek was just that good in 98 so it could really go either way.

Canada did win in 02 with Mario in the team but I do think bigger ice surely is a bigger factor than some might think, maybe that is just me but I really do think it. I do to this day still believe that Sweden would have won the 2002 if they didnt crap the bed against Belarus, but they did and they've got no one but them selves to blame for it.

What do you think, do Sweden get past Belarus and win the Olympics in 2002 with a healthy Peter Forsberg ? He came and won the MVP just the year after so he was surely in his prime at the time.
I doubt it. Sweden has a long history of doing well in the preliminary games but choking in the important games. It can go back the 1984 Canada Cup. Not to mention a whole slew of World Junior tournaments. Canada progressed and got better and better as the 2002 Olympics went on. That team was almost like a well oiled machine by the time they met the Americans in the gold medal game. I can't imagine Tommy Salo standing on his head to beat Canada in the clinching game. Early on in the game Mike Richter had to stand on his head to prevent a blowout.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote