View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

vCash: 500
The Spokane Chiefs down the Everett Silvertips 4-0 tonight, their second consecutive win against the Tips, after a 5-0 win on Saturday. Tonight, Ryan Murray was nothing less than a standout for the Tips, as he generated a lot of their scoring chances by skating the puck up the ice, or getting the puck through traffic and on net.

He went for a -2 on the evening, but it's hard to cite him for that from what I saw, as the Chiefs simply outclassed the Tips in almost every aspect of the game, particularly in hard work. The first goal was off of a poor rebound from the Everett goaltender that kicked out to the right corner and was then fired across-crease to a wide open Connor Chartier for an easy tap-in. The only player who could have made a play here was the goalie. The second was a shorthanded marker in which none of the Everett forwards seemed to backcheck, leaving Murray, his defense partner Landon Oslanski, and the goalie in an odd-man situation.

What impressed me the most about Ryan Murray was the same thing that always has - his puck poise. I can remember at least 5-6 times when he single handedly broke out of the defensive zone, gained the red line, and made a pass that would have sprung in the forwards for clean breaks had they been ready for them. He has a swagger about him with the puck that makes him ever dangerous. His one-timer surprised me in it's quickness and accuracy, and his shot in general was hard. I know I saw him wind up 6 or 7 times, but not all of those shots made it through, so he probably wound up with 4 or so shots on net. Not bad when the team only puts up 22, really.

His gap control was superb, as was his ability to close the gap if it did get too wide. He bobbled the puck and lost it on one play in particular, only to turn around and catch back up with the forward moving away from him in only a few quick strides.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I thought he played a solid game, bordering on great at times. I really would like to see what he could do with some skilled forwards ahead of him, as the Tips are a young team up front and really didn't seem to compete too hard tonight.