View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 03:01 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
Ovechkin has to transform his game like Kovalchuk. Never thought I would say that.

Make sure the puck gets in deep, work from the the cycle, don't try to beat guys by yourself, be responsible in your own end. Kovalchuk has excelled ever since he was given more responsibility on the PK and in key situations at the end of games. Kovalchuk is a great passer as well, he compliments certain teammates quite nicely (although we would like him to shoot more). Maybe Oates can use some stuff he learned from Lemaire and Deboer who coached Kovalchuk perfectly and use them with Ovechkin? Only time will tell.

I didn't really watch Ovechkin closely this last season so maybe his gamed changed but that was just my 2 cents.
Would make sense, but I'm not certain he has Kovalchuk's vision. The difference between these two guys when OV was outproducing Kovy was always physical, not mental. If he doesn't, he can't make that transition.

What he can do is modify his game to be a sort of Brett Hull on steroids: look for holes (which would actually be easier for OV because he's so friggin strong) and trust for other guys to get him the puck in situations where the tender isn't about to catch up with his cannon.

He did used to do something like that from the left circle before he started playing the point.