View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 03:31 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I don't think anyone thinks that. but it does tell us with reasonable reliability how much of a shooter, passer, or balanced scorer they are. My point is that most players could be passed off as balanced scorers if one was so inclined, leaving only the 10% at each fringe being described as "goals biased" or "assists biased" - basically I was saying it was a somewhat empty statement.
It's also a bit of a strawman. You've taken some generally known information about Young -- he was known for being fast, a gifted playmaker, and a pretty good shooter to boot -- and attached it to a dubiously relevant stat, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say when the stat doesn't prove anything.

I'm not really sure what you want from me here. Are you questioning Young's skill set or his statistical profile?

Quote:
How demonstrated is it? Not really scrutinizing at this point, but trying to understand. Last year it seemed VI was using one game as evidence. Was there more?
I forgot to respond to this earlier. I'm positive that he played some D in both Minnesota and Philadelphia. Without doing a significant amount of work, I quickly verified games in 1980, 1981 and 1985. I don't think there were tons of games overall, not enough to list him as a C/D, but it definitely wasn't a one-off or novelty move. Two coaches in different organizations (including an unforgiving young Keenan) saw him as a viable option to play back rather than call up a minor leaguer. The fact that one of those was a Game 7 tells you something about the level of confidence Sonmor had in him, and strongly suggests that he must have done it sometime before (either that, or Sonmor was out of his mind!). I can't think of a way to pin down a better estimate other than to read all his game summaries.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote