View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Well I think you have to leave Strome at center because he's always played there. Nelson can play center or wing. I would love to see our second line as Nelson-Strome-Nino.
I don't know if it's better, but I am pretty much expecting that Strome will be moved to the wing unless a number of other bodies are moved out.

Nelson's size down the middle is simply too important for a franchise lacking that, especially in light of guys like Nielsen and Cizikas likely/possibly being on the team at the same time.

In addition, if Nelson can be a 50 point two-way center, then the Isles' brass will likely look for a means to get Strome and Tavares together on the ice as much as possible.

I know some don't like this analogy (I love it), but my belief continues to be that the Islanders envision Strome to be 'their' Jordan Eberle, who also was a center for some time in junior. I also wouldn't put too much weight on his being a center over the long run as going from center to wing is about the easiest transition a guy can make... and wasn't he already a winger for Team Canada at the last WJC?

But that'll be decided by the team over time. In any case, with the prospect depth at forward, some players are going to have to switch up or be moved.

Back to the relevant discussion in this thread, I fear that Islander fans should be assuming that Lee will not be signed by NYI this offseason, when he can then choose to become an UFA. I've been critical of Snow in the past for not reacting quickly enough (as in, guarantee the signing of said player as of the point in time his college season is over [if not sooner] or trade the respective player's rights for whatever you can get). I'd love to see Lee and his winner's attitude/trademark on the Island. Heck, he may even be able to make a direct transition to the NHL, or perhaps only spend one season in the AHL, but every indication at this point should be understood by management as "he's a likely flight risk".

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote