Thread: AAA 2012 Draft
View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 11:07 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
That puts me in a ten piece bucket of trouble....
I forgot to mention last night, you really do have a way with words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's also a bit of a strawman. You've taken some generally known information about Young -- he was known for being fast, a gifted playmaker, and a pretty good shooter to boot -- and attached it to a dubiously relevant stat, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say when the stat doesn't prove anything.

I'm not really sure what you want from me here. Are you questioning Young's skill set or his statistical profile?
Maybe I'm just reading too much into what you said. You called him "offensively versatile" because he scores goals and is a good playmaker. I noticed that he is more or less "average" from a goals:assists ratio and therefore is not a player one could pigeonhole into a "just a goalscorer" or "just a playmaker" bucket, but so could 80% of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
And as you hinted at, his plus/minus (not a very useful stat, but for sake of argument) is really lopsided from playing as a teenager in the late 80's on some "bleh" teams
Just for the record, I wasn't referring to his +/- at all... I totally realize a no-offense, all-defense guy who almost always played for bad teams will have a bad +/-. I'm just saying that his 18.3 minute career average is deceptively low due to a high career GP total, and if you pare off the early and late years where he was a poor man's Luke Schenn, and "just a good guy to have in the dressing room", respectively, it's a more respectable 19.5 which falls closer to the range of what other similar guys are being taken with now.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote