View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I had Brimsek-Durnan last round at 5-6. Then Parent-Benedict a step behind them.

In my original list, I had Gardiner ahead of Benedict/Vezina (and Broda/Belfour for that matter too) because I remember TDMM finding a lot of stuff two ATDs ago about Gardiner being the best goalie ever to that time (therefore being better than Vezina/Benedict, who one would assume a lot of writers had also seen). That made up for the the longevity edge that the other two have in my opinion. Whether or not that holds, we'll see but that definitely stuck out in my mind.

Still not sure I'll have Broda ahead of any of those five this round. I'm throughly unimpressed with his regular season resume and contemporary articles don't seem to portray him much better. Plus, while his playoff resume is CLEARLY strong, only have one retro-Smythe seems odd to me and that's something else that I think needs discussed a little more. Just how big of a part of these teams was Broda?
Benedict/Vezina vs Gardiner, consider the two distinct eras. Benedict played 15-20 games in the post forward pass era. Vezina never did. Gardiner straddled the eras. Gardiner's pre forward pass era stats are not that impressive, nor are his regular season numbers. Not sure that writers of the era were making the pre forward pass distinction. Mike Farkas in post #33 upthread touches on some of the nuances between the eras.

Broda and retro Conn Smythes. Retro awards try but never capture the moment of the SCF. Compromise between the accumulated data to the point of the project, the trends of the time and trying to be faithful to the season.

Comparison would be the Top 100 projects where Durnan and Broda rank well ahead of Brimsek. Suddenly that consensus is flipped even though their records have not changed.

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote