Old
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Eva doesn't like gringos.

Second of all, you underestimate Snow's ability to resign a player, case in point Evgeni Nabokov. Either way, I did notate that if not all of Boyes/Visnovsky/etc. are resigned that other veterans will need to be. The main point is, those roster spots will not all be occupied by rookies, some veterans will be added/replaced.

Third, I think Strome will be eased in. Nielsen is a proven veteran and part of the core, he won't be pushed aside for a rookie. Strome will need to earn his way up, just like the other prospects that have been brought along the past few years. For example, Niederreiter was not handed a top 6 spot. Don't expect Strome to be any different.

If the Islanders would like to build a successful system like the Red Wings, Devils, etc. they need to start doing these things or they'll continue to rush and put prospects in positions to fail.
Good points and I'm in agreement. It's unrealistic to assume that the current holes in the lineup will be filled by rookies. It's a recipe for disaster.

Streit will be re-signed. We can't really afford to lose him considering the situation on the blue line. Nabokov should be back and I'm not ready to hand the reins to Poulin or Nilsson no matter how impressive they are this year at the Bridge.

The only premium prospect that should be in the lineup is Nino next year. It looks like Strome may too, but I wouldn't mind him spending time in the AHL to begin the season so that he has some exposure to professional hockey before he's thrown to the wolves. If he's showing that he's ready, then so be it. Otherwise, caution is best. The same goes for Reinhart, I don't want to see him fast tracked. Do the opposite of Nino and keep him in the WHL next year and then see how things play out.

I do see Cizikas and Ullstrom in the plans for 2013-2014. It does seem like there is a glut in the system, but we are not at the stage yet where tough roster decisions need to be made. I think that time will come after the 2013-2014 season when quite a few names will be on the verge and most importantly, prepared to play in the NHL. Reinhart, Nelson, Strome, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. should all have sufficient development time by then so that at least they won't crap the bed the way Nino did last year. Plus, we'll finally have enough depth throughout the system to have a continuous stream of talent at all levels by then. Snow will have all the ammunition he needs to pull off trades to make a splash in 2015. Don't forget about incumbents Bailey, Okposo, and Grabner who may or may not be in the teams plans going forward from that point.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote