View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 02:11 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Good points and I'm in agreement. It's unrealistic to assume that the current holes in the lineup will be filled by rookies. It's a recipe for disaster.

Streit will be re-signed. We can't really afford to lose him considering the situation on the blue line. Nabokov should be back and I'm not ready to hand the reins to Poulin or Nilsson no matter how impressive they are this year at the Bridge.

The only premium prospect that should be in the lineup is Nino next year. It looks like Strome may too, but I wouldn't mind him spending time in the AHL to begin the season so that he has some exposure to professional hockey before he's thrown to the wolves. If he's showing that he's ready, then so be it. Otherwise, caution is best. The same goes for Reinhart, I don't want to see him fast tracked. Do the opposite of Nino and keep him in the WHL next year and then see how things play out.

I do see Cizikas and Ullstrom in the plans for 2013-2014. It does seem like there is a glut in the system, but we are not at the stage yet where tough roster decisions need to be made. I think that time will come after the 2013-2014 season when quite a few names will be on the verge and most importantly, prepared to play in the NHL. Reinhart, Nelson, Strome, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. should all have sufficient development time by then so that at least they won't crap the bed the way Nino did last year. Plus, we'll finally have enough depth throughout the system to have a continuous stream of talent at all levels by then. Snow will have all the ammunition he needs to pull off trades to make a splash in 2015. Don't forget about incumbents Bailey, Okposo, and Grabner who may or may not be in the teams plans going forward from that point.
I never agreed with the whole "since this guy was drafted this year, he shouldn't be on this team until this year" argument. If a player is deemed ready by the coaching staff, he should get an opportunity to make the team. Especially if said player fills a hole in an NHL lineup, like Strome would for this team.

Considering most if not all of that 2011 top-10 would probably be in the NHL this season, I really don't see Strome not making this team out of camp next season. Especially considering how he's played to this point. I don't see any scenario where Nino doesn't make the opening lineup next year either barring injury. Even if it's in a 3rd line role, he'll be on this team.

The only questionmark, IMO, will be Reinhart. If he keeps on track I think the Isles will be in a tough spot next year, especially if they still have holes on the NHL defense. Reinhart is the type of player who probably won't have much to gain from playing in the WHL as a 19/20 year old. Since they won't be able to have him start the season in Bridgeport, they may choose to keep him up at the NHL level. I think it all depends on how he performs in TC. Either way, I think it's impossible to say at this point in time whether he will or will not be here.

Other than that, I agree that veterans need to be brought in. At least one on defense, and probably a bottom-sixer. I just don't see a complete overhaul being necessary.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote