View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 02:37 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
He can attempt all he wants, the UFA market will be bare and most players will either resign with their current teams or go to a contender. The only other option will be to resign Boyes or sign another similar player that contenders don't have interest in, which would just be lateral movement. To expect a Horton or someone similar is a meth pipe dream, not that you suggested him.

I think he'll want to. Boyes is a veteran who is a good reclamation project at the same time. He's capable of putting up the points to replace Parenteau's production, plus he adds more dimensions than PA did. He's also cheap, as we already know, and willing to be an Islander. These are two big points that are hard to find in a player.

Strome will still receive less ice time and Nielsen will still play the checking role, things aren't as cookie-cutter where you define your checking line as the 3rd line. The Islanders will most likely keep the Nielsen line as the 2nd line and use them in a checking role. The point is, Strome will not receive more ice time.

I think most people expect it sooner than it's actually going to happen. The Islanders are taking the long-term approach. It took Quebec/Colorado the better part of a decade and they had a lot more 1st overall picks. The Islanders rebuild started in 2008, I would expect it to continue for another 2-4 years after this year before they start becoming a legit contender. Remember their core prosects, Niederreiter, Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, etc. are all still very young.
If Nino, Strome and Ullstrom are all on this team next year, there just won't be any room for Boyes. The center positions will be locked up with Tavares, Strome, Nielsen and Cizikas, and on wing we'll have Moulson, Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, Nino, Ullstrom and Martin, leaving one open spot probably on the 4th line. I'd expect that to be filled via UFA(with a guy like Torres, who I mentioned before). I just don't see the room or need for a guy like Boyes. With the way he's played the past couple of year, I don't see how anyone would have more confidence with him on our first line than a guy like Okposo or even someone as unproven as Nino. He made sense this year as a stop-gap, however I don't see the need next season after a full year of development for some of our young, NHL ready top prospects.

As far as Strome receiving less minutes, you could be right, although that would only be because of the coaching staff wanting Nielsen on the ice in a shut-down role. Strome will get most of the offensive zone starts when the Tavares line is tired.

As far as this team becoming successful, I think a lot will depend on how quickly guys like Nino and Strome adapt to the NHL game. I think it will also depend on whether or not Snow can add the pieces he wants via the UFA or trade market. If he's able to do that next offseason, this team's turn-around could realistically begin in 2013-14.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote