View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
No one is saying that Adjusted Stats are insignificant or completely devoid of value.
AGAIN, it's when people use them at the expense of everything else available that they become an issue.

When someone bases their entire argument purely on what AS's says then we/I have a problem and it happens far too often.

You keep taking an extremist view every time someone has the slightest issue with AS's.
99% of the time the issue isn't even with AS's themselves, it's the value being assigned to them or that they are the only thing being used, that is.
Far too often I hear the response..."You don't agree because just don't understand them" when the reality is that one doesn't even have to fully understand them to understand what they are saying compared to everything else.
There's a difference between understanding AS's and understanding their value or weight in the equation.
I understand your position, because I feel very similar about common ways of evaluating players:

- awards, which are tallying of votes, usually by sportswriters: to me these are often mistaken, biased, and based on reputation (since they don't see most players for more than a few games at most), and there are drastic differences in competition for awards in different eras

- ranking amongst their peers: usually this totally ignores the drastic differences in competition during various seasons/eras, so that Howe & Richard's rankings are deemed just as valid as those of the past 2-3 decades

- the good ole "eye test": do I even have to explain that this is as subjective as it gets, and does little to get closer to any reasoned consensus in most cases?

- Cup counting and the like: of course, when one points out that playing in a 6 team league with two rounds of playoffs is going to lead to a lot more Cups for most top individual players, it is usually summarily dismissed as irrelevant

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote