Thread: Sergei Fedorov
View Single Post
Old
11-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Perhaps 80 spots is a bit extreme. Maybe it's more me overrating Yzerman than under rating Fedorov. I could see Yzerman ranked anywhere from top 20 to top 40. I could see, although it would be tough, having Fedorov as high as 70ish and as low as around 100. I think ~40 spots is the absolute smallest distance I could see ranking them.
Hey, either way I'm just glad we're having this kind of exchange about it. I'm certainly not going to begrudge a ~40 spot divide. I'm hardly even prepared to argue at length as to whether 30 or 50 would be a step in the "right direction", for example. There are lots of great players in history, so anywhere in the top 100 is something special as it is. Heck, once goalies are considered, there's not as much room left as one might think. But as much as I give Yzerman kudos for his high-flying offense in the 80s, his longevity/consistency, guts, toughness, and dedication, these guys aren't separated by that much age-wise, and like I said before, there's over a decade of playing hockey together under the same conditions where Yzerman didn't look that much better than Fedorov (and I would argue, in fact, that there are periods in the middle where Fedorov looked better than Yzerman, so it's not even a consistent decade of Yzerman's "second fiddle" or anything).

It's very much a Sakic/Forsberg comparison for me (Sakic with the head start in a higher scoring era, Forsberg shooting past to his peak during their time together, Sakic having the career numbers and intangibles advantage at the end of everything and never being considered on a distinctly lower level at any time along the way), and I don't think anyone has them separated by many spots on their list.