View Single Post
Old
05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
He's not right-handed, which is what we need and I don't think he's an elite shutdown center or good enough to be a second line center. He's only average size also. I thought he played a lot of wing this year?
He seems to be a real depth guy, though a good one who seems to have found his niche. But I agree that he doesn't really fit the team's needs as another LH W/C with speed but little size and grit. If the Habs were loading up for a Cup run, he would be great to have, but otherwise he's just taking a spot from one of the speedy skilled prospect W/C.

The other issue is that as a UFA (for the first time, I think), he's probably going to be looking for a multi-year deal, whereas Lang, despite his well-documented shortcomings, has only one year left. Also, as a UFA who's attracted a lot of positive attention this playoffs, he won't come so cheap as to make Lang's 3.8 one year deal look that bad money-wise.

Generally, the problem with UFAs is that they look for contract terms that effectively make them integral parts of a team for at least 3 years. That's a big commitment from the Habs in transition for a guy like Cullen who doesn't really have any of the qualities or specs that warrant building around.