Thread: Coaches: Thinking about coaching
View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 01:38 AM
beth

vCash: 500
I'm in my third year coaching and I have a Pee Wee house team. The kids are just awesome and it's so much fun. I've done squirt, mites and beginners too, and each level I always think that's my favorite age. They all bring something different to the experience!

You really learn a lot as you go - which drills are the most fun, which ones are the best at teaching certain things, how to talk to the kids, it all comes with experience. I will suggest to make your practice plans ahead of time as much as you can, with some leeway for unforseen circumstances. Even if you're not the head coach, have some drills/stations planned out as backup.

I know you're in canada, but USAhockey.com has a lot of resources for coaches. Also, our association is having all the coaches complete a course through Positive Coaching Alliance http://www.positivecoach.org/ and that might be worth checking out for you.

It's a lot of work - you are at the rink a LOT, but it's so rewarding when you see your kids improve.

Oh, I also recommend wearing some knee pads and maybe some elbows! I have volleyball kneepads under my track pants and they have saved me a couple of times already. It's hard being out there with no gear on - a friend of mine just got their arm broken while coaching. And one of my 11-year olds has a devastating shot and I never turn my back on him shooting EVER. haha!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote