View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Can columbus do the same ? I think it highly unlikely to happen in the same time frame because they are building this demand from scratch. As such I think columbus should be given more time to turn the corner, what I dont know is how much more time. Its entirely empirical but if cbj is still on the receiving end of rs in 5 or 10 years, then I think you have to at least consider cutting your losses.
The problem with Columbus is they are terrible, and have been terrible since they came into the league. That's no way to grow a market, I don't think the Canucks would draw well (they didn't in the late 90's) with that kind of team. So, you can keep throwing money at them but it isn't going to work, because it's a poorly run business. I wouldn't give them revenue sharing until they got their **** together.

Nashville, on the other hand, is well run. They are growing a fan base because they are a well run business. It makes sense to help them because you can see light at the end of the tunnel. Eventually, they'll have a good market that will increase national TV numbers and make everyone money. Them I would share revenue with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
To a novice, it might be that "hey, they draft poorly, or trade players too early, or don't sign enough free agents."
When you put a terrible product on the ice for 20 years, you're going to lose money. If your owner cannot fund an NHL hockey team I feel bad for you, but that shouldn't qualify him for revenue sharing. Run your business bad, lose money, that's not "novice", that's the way the world works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
There shouldn't be a single restriction on who's eligible for revenue sharing. Teams who have to spend over the negotiated percentage of HRR to reach THE FLOOR should get revenue sharing. Period. Anything else blows up the equilibrium of the system.
Then there would be no incentive for those teams to run a better business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Yes toronto and mtl have an interest in having teams to play against but if cbj were to move to hamilton, the habs and leafs still have someone to play and likely dont have to keep subsidising teams in questionable markets. I dont think that the have teams are lamenting that the thrashers left atl for the peg.
The fans in Hamilton already give money to the NHL, they buy merchandise, go to games, add to national and local TV numbers. The big money is in all the sports fans in the US that don't know what hockey is. Even a small piece of that US pie is huge money. If the NHL could find people to run these teams well, they'd make some headway and eventually lots of money for everyone.

Last edited by Scurr: 11-08-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote