View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 12:51 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Dude, just give this up. Yzerman never won a Cup before Fedorov. Fedorov must obviously be the better leader, since he led most of their successful post seasons in scoring while also playing a top checking role. I don't actually believe that, but see what I did there? You should, because you've become a pro at it in this thread.

You're going to either have to check that again, or explain your definition of "regularly". They were neck and neck in points thanks to Fedorov missing a lot more games than Holik for a stretch there, but is that really when you're talking about? lol. Hurrrrrr.... durrrr.....

Well, what can I say. There isn't a single player in the post '05 lockout that even comes close to the level of Gretzky, Lemieux, or Jagr for starters, so are we handicapping the remaining 17? Or should we explore the all-time rankings of the "regulars" from the top 20 lists of the 80s and 90s and prognosticate which guys from the '05+ era are "likely" to overtake them for "all time" in the end? I'm sure you know that those top 20s aren't on an equal playing field, but I'm also sure that you don't care. I'm sure Cheechoo, Heatley, Marc Savard, Vanek, Lecavalier, etc. have a fine chance at passing guys like Jagr, Sakic, Forsberg, Gilmour, Oates, Selanne, etc on the all-time lists once all the career value is reckoned.

But I think Messier, Hull, and Fedorov are the only players to ever beat Gretzky for the Hart in a year where Gretzky won the scoring title (mind you, there are 11 years where others had a chance to make such a claim). Think about that one for a moment.
Good points. Some years of Fedorov's scoring finishes has to be taken with a context. To be top-10 in scoring he would have had to beat the guys you just listed and more. 90's was insanely stacked on good forwards. Selanne/Kariya were given to challenge for scoring titles every year. Lindros/Jagr/Forsberg/Sakic/Oates etc. Id go on a limb and say that if Fedorov would have had the same caliber of competition Datsuyk had he would have more top-10 scoring titles.

This is all hypothetical of course...