View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 08:11 AM
VinnyV88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Because the change from NY to NJ would significantly impact the franchise values of those teams in the negative - that's why no one says a thing. The league nor it's owners would proffer such a change. While NJ would certainly love it's name attached to it, they can sit idly by collecting "NY" money once a week for 16 plus weeks a year. Who is gonna argue with that?

The Isles, unlike a lot of other sports team, are identified with a suburban team, albeit under the NY name. It is NY, but it ain't really NY in the sense of NYC. The Isles could still be the New York Isles in BC. I don't expect there to be a name change under Wang's ownership. If Rattner buys them and the Brooklyn thing goes well for the nets, then watch out - he May want to establish HIS product as Brooklyn versus being " NY " especially if the Brooklyn name carries significant brand weight.

Again, the Isles have a legacy that is important to the league. I doubt anything happens beyond third jersey marketing stuff ( Isles please do not use the same idiots that made the last jersey...thank you) until they settle into BC and see where it goes from winning, branding, and ownership.
If, IF, they ever do change the name, I can see them doing something like LA Angels of Anaheim or whatever they are called now. I can see them calling themselves the Brooklyn, NY Islanders. Anyone from Brooklyn, like me, can relate to the "Brooklyn, NY" and the rest of the island can relate to the "Islanders". They can keep the crest, banners and history the same and the logo might look something like this: