View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 09:20 AM
kuwo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
To be honest, I kind of think that when it comes to the Russkies, our staff isn't very enthusiastic about grabbing them unless they fall into the category of 'Once considered 1st round talent who has dropped into round 3 or further solely for "extracurricular" reasons'.

I can fully understand not having wanted to take Grigorenko top 5, but I too really was scratching my head about Zlobin.

Especially considering that he was Kabanov's teammate. Unless of course the scouting staff talked with Kabanov and Kirill had some bad things to say about him??? Who knows? And would it have even mattered?

Anyhow, yes, it would have seemed a bit logical to take a shot on the guy, especially when he was there to be had in rounds 6 and 7.

On the other hand, we're gonna have to see if the staff knew what it was doing with its pics in rounds 4-7. Leduc does have a physical package that makes you wonder if they didn't see something in him that could first really start to show itself in 2-3 years. Big, gangly men can be like that when it comes to development. As for the high schoolers, we don't really know a thing about them. For all we know, one could end up being the next Justin Schultz. Taking a shot at Graham (who's not exactly lightin' it up with points or +/-) where we did could give us the next Spurgeon, Kichton or Dehart?

This said, alone with respect to the all-Dman course of draft action, I know of a few specific forwards I'd much rather have seen be taken and Zlobin is one of them.
Yeah, and for me one of those guys was smallish but tenacious forward Gemel Smith who left good impression at the U18 WC in Czech Republic and he was picked by Dallas right after the Leduc selection. And he is having a pretty solid seasom from statistical standpoint.