Thread: Coaches: Thinking about coaching
View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Cool thread, never go into this section much but I saw it from main.

One of the things I've learned (21 year old Head/Assistant Coach here for young kids in the States) is that there is a huge 'Old Dogs' club mentality with coaching. If you are an assistant, it's difficult to get involved big time when head coaches are very controlling. Likewise becoming a head coach can be difficult when there are older people also looking to coach.

What I've found works best is to stick with what you know and make the biggest impact you can in that area. I know defense so I always make sure to tell the other coaches that's my strength, what I'd like to work in and then during practices make myself heard until the head coach recognizes I can contribute (bigger deal for younger coaches than older imo).

Similarly when being a head coach I've often found that the best thing you can do is keep talking. The more you speak with your players the more they will absorb and if you keep bringing up both their positive and negative plays they will respect you for complimenting them (especially if you get excited for them when they get excited) and appreciate you for your critiques.

I had a kid last year that had a very strong shot but he could never hit the net with it. I tried giving him one of my old Nike Bauer sticks which was half the weight of the one he was using and worked with him a lot during shooting drills until he got his slap shot on net and put a lot of faith in him as a coach by moving him to the point on powerplays and such, forcing him to shoot.

Everytime he scored on one of those goals his eyes would always light up and he'd look back at me extremely happy. It's moments like those that make me enjoy coaching young kids, the older ones don't get as into it as the younger ones.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote