View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 01:46 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Excellent Article on scouting NHL Prospects

I Tweeted this article out on Monday. I didn't see a thread on it anywhere here so I thought I’d post it in the prospect thread since I think prospect enthusiasts will love reading it.

The Toronto and Ottawa Sun ran an article last week by Bruce Garrioch who followed Ottawa Senators director of player personnel Pierre Dorion for one week on the road. Bruce did an incredible job on this article and it's a very true to life view of what it's like to be a scout. I actually read the whole article out loud in the car as myself and HockeyProspect owner/director of scouting Mark Edwards were traveling back from Gatineau to Montreal after a game Sunday evening. It's a long one but definitely worth taking the time to read. This article was a bit of a buzz amongst NHL Scouts rooms across Quebec this past weekend, so I'm sure you guys will love hearing this perspective.

Part 1: http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/11/02/...ospects-part-1

Part 2: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/03...spects-part-ii

Near the end of Part 1 they give the actual scouting report written on Erik Karlsson. I think sometimes you see people write or believe that they need to write really confusing scouting reports that focus on unnecessary things to make the job seem a lot more complicated than it is. But as you can see from this report it's a lot more direct and straight to the point than you think. It's very similar to the way in which we write our reports and I think it goes to show that overcomplicating the art of scouting is really not necessary. The good ones are just long because they cover every area so in depth.

At the end of the second part they give the entire trip details. Well, for those who have been following me; Myself and Mark Edwards were just on our first crossover trip to Quebec for this season. Immediately followed by the U18 Four Nations Tournament in Ann Arbor, MI. We were talking about how our distance chart would stack up against this one. We figured it would be fairly similar.

So here is the chart of the trip that we just went on and the final days that we are still in the process of completing. Keep in mind this trip is 12 days, and the one in the article is 6 or 7, so naturally our number is going to be higher because there's more days.

Thursday November 1
Sarnia to Oakville: 254KM
Oakville to Peterborough: 171KM
Oshawa Generals @ Peterborough Petes
Peterborough to Montreal: 480KM
Friday November 2
Montreal to Victoriaville: 157KM
Val d'Or Foreurs @ Victoraivlle Tigres
Saturday November 3
Rouyn-Noranda Huskies @ Victoriaville Tigres
Victoriaville to Drummondville: 60 KM
Halifax Mooseheads @ Drummondville Voltigeurs