View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 12:53 PM
kanuck87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Bure's accomplishments should've made him a lock for the HHOF. But as I said earlier, retiring a team jersey number should also include things you did for the community *off the ice*. I don't have a problem with Naslund's number being retired because of this. And it's hardly like Smyl's hockey stats (while technically being the best on a bad team; it was fairly medicore with respect to the rest of the league). Sure Naslund's last few years were fairly awful; but he was for several years one of the most lethal goal scorers in the entire league.
I think Bure should also get credit for rejuvenating hockey in Vancouver during the 90's. Despite the fact that we were a good team for only a few seasons, Bure still gave Canucks fans and other teams fans (look at the thread on the main boards for example) a reason to watch Canucks games. He helped put the Canucks on the map.

edit: I should say he's not the sole reason for rejuvenating the city's love for hockey, but he's one of the main reasons for it

kanuck87 is online now   Reply With Quote