View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Agreed. I just don't see Gretzky (or anyone else)today winning scoring titles by nearly the margins that he did in the 80s. There's just too much competition and the narrowing (compression) of the gap between the top and marginal players. However, I can envision the best players of the past 20 years playing in the 80s and scoring 150+ points in their peak seasons, when defenses were thin, disorganized and relied on goalies laden with small, heavy pads stood up and motioned at the puck with their legs (okay, I exaggerate slightly ).

Does Malkin have more offensive and defensive skill than your typical top 3 player from years gone by? Not significantly so IMO. Does the average lower line player today have more offensive and defensive skill than in the 70s or 80s? Definitely. What's he going to use that additional skill for? He's going to score more himself and/or help prevent top liners from scoring as much as they otherwise would. The former raises the league gpg without helping the top line player... the latter hurts the top line player. How does this combination suggest that lower line players are going to be hurt more than top line players in terms of adjusted points in an environment with compressed talent (talent pool which increases faster than league size)? It doesn't, it suggests the opposite. Compressed talent tends to lower scoring and diluted talent tends to increase scoring. I believe the compressed talent has led to the scoring decreases and has also made it more difficult for top players to stand out (e.g. in adjusted points) as well.
See, this is where common sense takes over.
First of all, you're not taking a modern player back to the 80's with modern training or modern equipment.
Second, a 36 year old Mario, once recovered from Cancer, with a bad back can still be so far above everyone else in the middle of the DPE.
Third, Gretzky, as a former shadow of himself at 36-37, also with a bad back is still about a 100 point player and in the top 5 of league scoring.
Fourth, I was there when Yzerman scored 155 and It was an almost magical season for him. I'm sorry but the only person I have seen today capable of reproducing that magic is Sidney Crosby now and Jagr of the mid 90's-early 2000's.
And of course fifth, because Jagr(who is no Gretzky or Lemieux) wasn't winning scoring titles by ridiculous margins or by only playing 3/4's of the season only about a decade or so ago right

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 11-08-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote