View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I just think you're chasing leprechauns here. Who exactly are these 'home-run picks' that we keep missing out on? It'd be one thing if teams were landing them every year, but that's not really the case anymore. If we were to swing for the fences with everyone of our picks, I think we'd be lucky to land about two NHL caliber player in a five year span. They could probably score but their game would come with some flaws as well and wouldn't be the kind of all-star players you'd hope they'd be. I think we know how important depth is, I don't think the Kings would have won the Stanley Cup without players like King and Nolan. Right now I our minor-league team is extremely raw and going through some growing pains, and sadly deferring to it's veterans. But there are cases like Jeffrey, who's probably one of the better later round picks in recent years, that absolutely tore up the AHL and showed a lot of promise and potential at the NHL level. I really think some of these picks do have its payoffs, and that every player that doesn't have skill bleeding out of their ass is destined to become the next Craig Adams.
Toews. Kuznetsov's well on his way. Grigorenko too.

That's 3 pretty significant whiffs in 6 years.

I'm not saying we have to swing through on every pitch, but we don't need to be drafting the likes of Rust and Samuelsson in early rounds, or a guy like Pouliot at 8th overall when already we have an incredibly well-stocked blueline pool and very few would argue he's the BPA.

It'd be nice to aspire to something better than just getting on-base every once in awhile.