View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
You said that you believe the best players of the last 20 years could attain 150+ points in the 80's. I got news for ya, Stevie only did that 23 years ago and no one outside of #99, #66 or #68 had come close to that since.
If Bernie Nicholls could score ~150 points, then I'm pretty sure some others since could have done that in the 80s as well. Adjusted stats would suggest these players could have done it (and not just one season):

Definitely- Jagr
Probably- Sakic, Forsberg, Selanne, Lindros, Thornton, Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby...
Maybe- Bure, Kariya, etc.

Quote:
Not only that but I have not seen a player outside of those 3 and recently Crosby for half a season come close to matching the level of play Stevie attained in '89. I'm not talking about his points, I'm talking about the level of play he was on that season.
You may be right, but now you're talking about a much more subjective measure that is very difficult to (and so I won't) argue.

Quote:
You said that Gretzky couldn't win scoring races by the margins he did in the 80's...AGAIN, Jagr is no Gretzky and Jagr was winning scoring races by ridiculous margins and that's only in the last decade.
Is Gretzky going to win a scoring race by 70 points? Prolly not but is Gretzky going to win scoring races by 40-50%? I'd bet my house on it!
The margins went from completely ridiculous (Gretzky... and Lemieux when healthy) to substantial (Jagr) to close (more recent years). This is partly a function of the ability of those great players, and partly a function of the increased competition towards the top in the past two decades IMO. Adjusted stats would say ~40% (of the runner-up's total) is about right. I'd go with that number, at least until further proper relevant study is done.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote