View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Looking at the quality of next years draft I have to say I hope Bergevin finds a way to end up with a top ten pick. In a way I'm more terrified of the Habs fighting for a bubble playoff spot, and the temptation to get better now that comes with it, than I am of having another terrible year. Gally is just another level of prospect than our mid-late first rounders from recent years. Nothing against Leblanc, Tinordi or Beaulieu, but elite talent is elite for a reason, and top 3-5 draft picks is the most likely way to get it into your org.

Not advocating to tank, just saying if the team isn't really competitive, I think we're much better off accepting short term suffering and looking to a brighter future. The fact that the Bulldogs are stocked with interesting young talent and almost none of it is close to NHL-ready only reinforces that feeling for me. This is the time to build a winner from the ground up. Think about adding another center of Gally's calibre to the org, and where we might be in three years as a result. Been a long, long time....
Agreed. The only reason not to advocate this method of re-build is if all our young guys coming up, the Leblanc's , Gallaghers, etc., overperform, considering where they were drafted. What we have done for years is overpay for players to fill in for our top draft pick's failings. Instead of just conceding the fact that, as you said, the 10-20 1st round pick was as much a shot in the dark as almost any round, that the team needed a real talent to jumpstart the franchise, they continued to wallow in this state of patch-up and mediocrity. The best GM's can look at their franchise and know when's the time to go for it, and alternately, when's the time to be patient. Bergevin should be able to look at this year's squad and say to himself, "this is surely the time to be patient."