View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 04:27 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Yeah what else do you do to look up things? They have old newspaper clippings, archived google games and a lot of other resources. Thats what you need when you do historical analysis of something. Check the post below, thats short work to easily show how much better Kelly was. Fedorov doesnt have an argument over that, except for some people here actually watched him play and are fan boys of his.

For the most part he was a 65 point center with a really high peak, Kelly had a trophy made for him. And even as versatile as Fedorov was, Kelly was too. He ended up leaving Detroit and playing a good chunk of his career on Toronto so that point is negligible.
Look, this entire poll is proof that it's pretty dumb to try and compare players from vastly different eras.
Which is why I'm not casting any votes in these polls.

To even begin the compare players, you have to define how you're doing so. And that in itself is something that can lead to major arguments. Are you comparing players? Are you comparing the players vs. their peers? Are you comparing their relative value?
Does a Norris Trophy mean jack when there are 6 teams? That's like having a Best Defensemen in the Central Division trophy.
Do you take into account the fact that Fedorov was ordered by Bowman to curtail his offensive game? Does that factor into his 65-point seasons?

What about Kelly? Were his stats made worse by his coach? Or were they made better?

Are you checking to see what seasons Kelly was a forward and what seasons he was a defenseman?

I see people list Eddie Shore as one of the game's great defensemen. Well, I love to read old hockey books. But I'm 41, and I never saw Eddie Shore. How the hell can you compare Eddie Shore to Bobby Orr or Nick Lidstrom.

That's why I like to keep my rankings to within the era I watched.

My all time Wings team:

Yzerman Fedorov Shanahan
Zetterberg Datsyuk Probert
Gallant Filppula Ogrodnick
Matlby Draper McCarty

Lidstrom Konstantinov
Larson Chelios
Kronwall Rafalski

Hasek/Osgood

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote