Thread: Coaches: Thinking about coaching
View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 04:43 PM
SCBruCrew4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
This is very true, a lot of people coach to feel important or to be in a position of power..

My tip, be patient with kids, do something fun at the end of each practice, share some of your pm best and worst playing experiences...(life lessons)
Couldn't agree more. Like I said I coach a learn to skate/hockey class and normally we end the practices by allowing the kids to just play with the pucks. It's nothing special in terms of "game" but they enjoy it so much after doing 45 minutes worth of skating drills. To just be given pucks to slap around and skate with is like heaven to them lol.

Also the whole "position of power" thing. I am grateful to have never been around that with any of my coaches growing up and to be honest some of my most fond memories as a player (baseball) was when I played in a 15 y/o league and my friends father was the coach. He was vulgar but not towards us, just in general. He kept things loose, joked with all of us and gave everyone equal playing time. Some of my funniest stories in sports comes from him alone lol.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote