Brian Savage happy to join HF Boards
View Single Post
11-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Join Date: Nov 2012
1) I quit hockey when I was 16 and 17 years old. I never skated for 2 years as I was concentrating on getting a golf scholarship in the USA. I got back in hockey when I was 18 and played high school hockey. When I was 19 I played for the Sudbury Cubs Tier 2 team and some told Miami of Ohio they should come see a kid from Sudbury. That was in January and they offer me a scholarship after watching me for 2 games.
2) It was the lockout shortened season. Only 48 game schedule. I got hurt and missed 11 games do to a knee injury. I know I played with Turner Stevenson a lot that year but I believe we had lots of left wings come and go. Jacque Demers was an awesome coach. Learned a lot on how to be a professional!!
3) I got drafted after my 1st season at Miami. I didn't attend the draft. Just happy to get draft and excited it was for Montreal. That summer I went to hockey in Minny for 8 weeks and that was the turning point in my career. I had a great 2nd year at Miami. Next summer did the same 8 weeks in Minny. My last year I was MVP of CAHA and our team won the league title. I left right after hockey to join Team Canada for the World Championship in Germany with the NHL players in 1993. Signed with Montreal that summer!!! Interesting way to get to the NHL that is why I always say if you are good enough, be committed and pay the price, they will find you!!
Originally Posted by
Loving the fact that you're taking the time to post. You and Steve Shutt are my two favorite Habs of all time. Got a few questions I hope you don't mind answering:
1) How did end up playing for Miami University (Ohio) if you're from Sudbury? Was the OHL not an option?
2) Tell us a bit about your rookie season (94-95). Who were your line-mates? Did you have jitters? Was it tough to earn a spot?
3) Did you go to the NHL draft in 1991? Were you disappointed to go 171st overall in the 8th round? Did that end up motivating you to play harder and prove you belonged?
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by savey49