View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 05:24 PM
saffronleaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
not true JM.its a rapidly declining rust belt relic of a foregone civilization dontcha know
Yes, yes, I used very exaggerated language to troll the pro-Hamilton crowd, but really, Hamilton is a lot more like Buffalo and Cleveland than Toronto. It is a typical rust belt city. Hamilton was in somewhat of a decline until the past decade or so, which saw rapid growth in the area between Hamilton and Toronto (i.e., Peel & Halton Regional Municipalities) and the integration of Hamilton into what is now referred to as the GTHA. Hamilton has good potential now, but it has to decide on its future direction.

I can't quite find it right now, but there was a good study by the Florida and Martin Prosperity organization outlining the future prosperity of Ontario. It divided Ontario into three categories:

1. Regions well-positioned for the creative age / innovation economy. This includes Toronto, Ottawa and K-W.

2. Older industrial cities. This includes places like Hamilton, Oshawa and Windsor.

3. Rural areas. This is mainly Northern Ontario.

The first category of areas is the one most rapidly growing and the one with the most robust local economies with the strongest economic outlooks.

It did note, however, that Hamilton seems the best positioned to transition from an older industrial city into a city well-positioned for the creative age / innovation economy. This is largely due to its proximity to Toronto.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote