View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I think the fact he was 18 has no importance. The guy tried to screw up an NHL institution (the Draft) to his advantage. Borderlines candidates gets rejected on that basis (Tremblay), or gets to wait a REALLY long time (Mark Howe). Lindros is such borderline candidate due to longevity. And the draft thing was no grey zone like Michel Goulet. Besides, the Hall is supposed to consider "values".

Besides, why Crosby reported to Pittsburgh? It was certainly not the optimal setting (it ended up being great, but THE optimal? No).

I can actually see players asking to be removed from the Hall if Lindros gets in.
I don't know if it'll go that far. There would be some quiet whispers I am sure though.

That being said from 1992 to 2000 we are basically judging Lindros' worthiness. The question is did he do enough in those years to get in? He had a lot of injury plagued seasons in between those years. 1994, 1997, 1998, 1999 (sort of) and 2000. A full season in all of them and he is probably already in but not only does he have character flaws but he also couldn't stay healthy and fell short of leading a team to victory (NHL or International on the top level).

I will say one thing here, there would be a huge can of worms opened up if every player thought the way Lindros does that he doesn't "owe" a team that drafts him anything. I'm glad 99% of them don't. There are more Crosbys out there than Cody Hodgsons thankfully.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote