View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I think it's easy to look at each pick and say "oh we coulda gotten this guy," it might be more fair to compare the Penguins overall drafting & developing record to every other team's individually. Every team passes guys up and sometimes teams get lucky, but I don't think there are more than a handful of scouting staffs that are clearly better than ours.
If we're talking about churning out NHLers, we really don't stack up very well since 2006. But I'm not really worried about that - we have a few players on the cusp. I've also tried to stay away from blanket criticisms of the Pens, and picking and choosing guys who were selected many picks later and came out of nowhere to become successful NHLers (ie picking Sneep over Lucic). The players I just mentioned were genuine pick-ems or off-the-board picks where the Pens shied away from higher-ceiling players.

In general I think we're a solid drafting team...in fact, I think our drafting tendencies ensure a middle-of-the-pack placement. I just don't believe that defensemen and college-bound forwards are BPAs as often as we've picked them, and we would benefit from putting a higher priority on talented forwards at the draft table. The fact that Bennett is the only drafted forward in our system with legitimate top 6 upside speaks volumes AFAIC.