View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 07:57 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
I'd be happy to. I'm not sure how much detail you are looking for so I guess I'll just give you a basic description and if you have more questions I can answer them after.

Basically you have the nucleus of the atom, which contains the protons and neutrons of the atom. Around the nucleus are "orbitals" kind of like the rings around Saturn. On these orbitals are the electrons. There are different numbers of electrons on each orbital. The easiest way to figure out how many is by looking at the periodic table. The first row has 2 elements, so those two elements have one orbital (first row) with up to two electrons. Hydrogen (first element) will have 1 and Helium (second element) will have 2. The second row elements will have 2 orbitals. The first will be full (2 electrons) and the second will have up to 8 electrons. For example, Carbon, the 6th element and 4th in the second row, will have 6 electrons, 2 in its first orbital and 4 in its second.

I realize that this can be a lot to take in depending on your base of knowledge so I apologize if I have used any jargon or gone over your head with anything. If you do need me to clarify anything I would be more than happy to.

Also, I have not had to do anything with bohr rutherford models in a number of years and am going off memory. I am almost positive what I have there is correct, but if I forgot something please let me know.
Thanks, Just needed a little clarification as I kind of zoned out during the lesson. Thank you.