Old
12-08-2003, 02:39 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I have to agree here. But there are two things I'd like to point out:

#1 - I believe Mike Barnett has seriously underrated just how downhill Burke's value could have possibly gone. He's playing like garbage too many nights, and his salary wasn't half the spectre of dread for some teams 6 months ago as it was now. Burke could be as hard to move as CuJo unless he reverts to Vezina-canidate form later on in the season.

#2 - If Burke's contract is up at the end of the season (I'm really not sure either way), Boucher might be the better move. Why? Well, if you move Boucher, and Burke's contract runs out, then the Yotes have about $6 million dollars going into a gigantic UFA market. No doubt, they could pluck a decent keeper such as perhaps Manny Legace or Dwayne Roloson for $2 and change, then pocket some cash for one or two veteran forwards to help along the kids. Personally, this is the route I'd go. Also, with Burke in there, you just might make the playoffs, whereas with Boucher and Bierk (I still think Bierk will be a pretty darn good keeper in a year or two), your playoffs hopes dimish fairly dramatically.
Burke has played like a player who wants to be traded. He appears disinterested in the games he struggled. What's interesting are the games he's been absolutely stellar in. In games against top contending teams he's been amazing. He's stolen points against the Avalancher and Blues this season.