The 2012-2013 NHL Lockout Discussion Thread
View Single Post
11-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Join Date: Jun 2009
NEW YORK -- For the first time since talks resumed earlier this week, the NHL and NHL Players' Association broke their silence Thursday. And although neither side offered much insight into the state of negotiations, it appears progress has been made.
A source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com that the union offered two proposals Wednesday, one on revenue sharing and another on the "make-whole" concept to honor existing player contracts. Additionally, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun the union's "make-whole" proposal includes a phase-in element that would see the players' share drop to 50-50 of revenue by Year 3 based on "regular" growth.
"I'm not going to characterize it except to say as I have before that it's always better when you're meeting than when you're not," Fehr said of the talks.
Commissioner Gary Bettman was similarly tight-lipped. When asked about progress, he said it was "tough to handicap."
"I don't know what Don said, but the fact is, we have a lot of work to do and we're working hard," Bettman said.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by AP