View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 11:05 PM
My Sweet Shadow

vCash: 500
His development was mismanaged.

My feeling, then and now, has always been that he should have gone back. There was no negative to letting him play another year; he would have dominated the WHL on a pairing with Myers, had a chance to be a leader on the WJC team, had a chance to mature one more year (physically and mentally), and he'd be another year older before becoming an RFA. The team was obviously in terrible shape, they weren't going to compete for a playoff spot in 2009-10, so you'd be throwing an 18 year old into the biggest hockey market in the world on a team notorious for it's weak defensive play and goaltending. It's a miracle that he survived, and in fact excelled, in his rookie year. His softmore year, everything caught up with him; poor coaching, unable to be shelted on the blue-line due to the rest of the defense and goaltending being sub-par, and an ever critical media expecting him to far exceed the high standard he set in his rookie year.

I like the trade though. He'll be able to play along side a stronger defense corps, with a (usually) good goaltender behind him. Combine that with being reunited with his brother and a change of scenery in general, and I think he has a shot to bounce back. From our perspective, we get a big, skilled forward who still has a lot of potential. Neither player lived up to expectations, but both have ample opportunity for redemption.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote