View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
His peer group for Dmen was during a time when defensive scoring was lower in general and his peak is directly related to Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita on the Black Hawks.
Yeah, let's punish the guy for being a pioneer. Orr even mentions him as a guy he modeled his game after.

Quote:
Throw in that he doesn't even make the NHL until age 24 (on a team that was consistently the worst in the NHL defensively) his name really sticks out on the list of offensive guys and Housley's name looks more like the group listed.

I had Pilote in my original top 20 list (around 15 I think) but in retrospect I think he has been listed too highly.
Arthur Wirtz took over the Blackhawks in 1954, which led to a HUGE turnaround because he changed the way things were done, which included bringing in the right players. One of the first guys he brought in was Pierre Pilote in 1955-56. Had Wirtz been in control earlier it's very possible Pilote's NHL career starts earlier. Also, Pilote started his career in the toughest era of all time for a player to break onto a roster, certainly much tougher than when Housley began.

The Stats...

Point Finishes Among Dmen: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 5, 5, 6, 10
Playoff Point Finishes Among Dmen: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2
1961 Led the Cup Winning Hawks in Points

% Rank in Points Among Dmen compared to 2nd place: 169, 147, 136, 127, 103, 100, 100, 95, 93, 86, 73
Those are monster leads...much more than can be attributed to playing with Hull and Mikita

Housley can't come close to any of this. The only thing he has going for him is that he played in an era where scoring was higher, seasons had more games, and careers were longer.

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 11-08-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote