View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Whileee

vCash: 500
By the way, I think that the new mayor and new city council members officially take office at the first regularly scheduled meeting in December.

From the city charter...

Quote:
Sec. 3. - Term of mayor.

The term of the office of Mayor shall commence at 7:00 p.m. on the first regularly scheduled meeting in December following the election for such office, and it shall be for four (4) years or until a successor is elected and qualified.

(5-25-70; 5-18-04; Res. No. 3824(Prop. 101), 1-25-05)

Sec. 4. - Terms of council members.

The term of the office of council members shall commence at 7:00 p.m. on the first regularly scheduled meeting in December following the election for such office, and it shall be for four (4) years or until their successors are elected and qualified.

(5-25-70; 5-18-04; Res. No. 3824(Prop. 101), 1-25-05)
In that case, a vote on November 27 would occur 2 weeks (or a fortnight) prior to the installation of the new mayor and council. I just can't see this as a realistic solution. It seems destined to be thwarted in some way, by some group, by some process. Alienating the incoming mayor and council is a foolish game by Jamison. I can't believe that Jamison and the NHL don't see this. Scapegoating whoever overturns or thwarts this after this "last gasp" vote by supportive council members won't help keep the Coyotes in Glendale.