View Single Post
Old
11-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Yeah, let's punish the guy for being a pioneer. Orr even mentions him as a guy he modeled his game after.
This pioneer thing gets brought up for more than 1 player, probably at least 10 times after Hod Stuart. I can't keep track anymore.

Quote:
Arthur Wirtz took over the Blackhawks in 1954, which led to a HUGE turnaround because he changed the way things were done, which included bringing in the right players. One of the first guys he brought in was Pierre Pilote in 1955-56. Had Wirtz been in control earlier it's very possible Pilote's NHL career starts earlier.
It's possible but so is Housley getting drafted by a different team and playing with much better players but both didn't happen.

Quote:
Also, Pilote started his career in the toughest era of all time for a player to break onto a roster, certainly much tougher than when Housley began.
This also seems to get applied to the entire 06 era and I'm not sure it's true. The late 40's wasn't considered the golden era for Dmen and outside of Kelly and Harvey I doubt the situation changed that much in a couple of years.

The Stats...

Quote:
Point Finishes Among Dmen: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 5, 5, 6, 10
Playoff Point Finishes Among Dmen: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2
1961 Led the Cup Winning Hawks in Points

% Rank in Points Among Dmen compared to 2nd place: 169, 147, 136, 127, 103, 100, 100, 95, 93, 86, 73
Those are monster leads...much more than can be attributed to playing with Hull and Mikita

Housley can't come close to any of this. The only thing he has going for him is that he played in an era where scoring was higher, seasons had more games, and careers were longer.
So era matters for Housley but not for Pilote? Those % listed above are clearly era driven and also the role of Dmen during Pilote's era as well.

Unfortunately I think era only matters some of the time here and it's pretty clear which eras get hurt more than others.

Pilote never led his team in scoring by 9 and 21 points either.

Housley begins his career finishing 3,3,2,4,2,3 on his teams scoring before Pilote makes the NHL.

In fact Housley only drops lower than 5th in his team scoring in his 12 year due to injury before ranking 3rd and 4th in his 13 and 14th seasons.

He actually would have led the New Jersey team he finished with in his 14th season and been 2nd on the Flames in the same year.

Clearly he is inferior to Pilote defensively but it's also pretty clear that he belongs more in the group of offensive Dmen listed that Pilote does as well overall.

Weaker era or not Housley had 6 seasons in the NHL, at an extremly high offensive rate until Pilote gets his 1st NHL season.

Pilote gets his 3 Norris trophies when time finally catches up to Harvey and before the Orr era, some good timing there along with the increased stats with Hull and Mikita emerging.

Back to the OP, I'm not sure if Housley gets in or not but it would be really funny to see the outrage here in the history section that a defenseman with Housley stats (borderline in or above in as a forward) given that some thinks it's nonsense that he is even being discussed.

Last edited by Hardyvan123: 11-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote