Thread: Sergei Fedorov
View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 12:34 AM
MastuhNinks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
I get the feeling you're probably overrating Datsyuk by a good bit. If you dropped Datsyuk onto, say, the Penguins he'd be no better than the THIRD best center on the team and one could make the argument that Jordan Staal is better than Datsyuk too.
This is a meaningless statement, all that it means is that there are at least 2 centers in the World that are better than Datsyuk. For the record I don't think that, and I agree around these parts he's sometimes unjustly treated as royalty, but your argument is extremely weak. Steven Stamkos is the 3rd best player in the World and he'd be the 3rd best center on the Penguins. Saying that there are two players on one team better than someone is that a very meaningful statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
The numbers don't lie: There isn't much statistical difference.
What on earth are you talking about? Are we looking at the same numbers here?

Datsyuk's career average offensive numbers are significantly better than any single season of Jordan Staal's. Just looking at Staal's best season, which was a lot better than any other he has had, his points per game was 0.81. 8 of Pavel Datsyuk's 10 NHL seasons are better than that, and one of them is barely behind, at 0.80 points per game. All 8 seasons are his 8 most recent seasons, including 0.96 points per game and 1.05 points per game the past two seasons. There most definitely is a statistical difference, and no argument for Jordan Staal being better.

So yeah, Datsyuk has exceeded what was by far Jordan Staal's best season of his career for 8 straight seasons, and all by fairly significant amounts. So please, show me the argument for Staal. The numbers don't lie after all.