View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Definitely wouldn't be going up highway 21 unless absolutely positively necessary... Road is always a gongshow... cars in the ditch, jackknifed big rigs, multiple accidents and usually a couple fatalities every year on it... If I'm not mistaken I think the one fatality that occurred after yesterday's dump took place on 21.

And even if it wasn't there were still plenty of accidents, they shut it down if I'm not mistaken, at least going to Fort Sask. I remember driving on it once or twice last year after snowfalls and bitter cold days (even though there weren't that many)... some of the scariest drives of my life, sheer ice. Don't know why it would be much different coming from the south east.

I had some family members and friends supposed to come up for the weekend from Calgary and just told them next week.
A few reasons this highway is so bad.

1)Its busy and whatever snowpack is on it gets polished into fine ice.

2)The highway elevation is low meaning that whatever snow is on the sides is swept onto the road continuously by the wind meaning that its constantly adding more snow to be polished into glare ice.

3)It runs North-South and exactly perpendicular to prevailing winds.

Its basically a farmer design highway that was never meant to be handling this kind of traffic. They need to dig ditches or elevate the highway or something to prevent the wind drift.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote