View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 06:59 AM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Gleaner column

It is unfortunate the Daily Gleaner is behind a paywall, because sports editor Bruce Hallihan had a clip-save-copy-forward column yesterday from a UNB perspective (and maybe for other fans disheartened by the refereeing in some games as well).

Some excerpts:

Quote:
Iíve been on the sports beat in this city for 24 years, but Iíve never seen Fredericton fans riled up like they were at Saturdayís Atlantic University Sport menís hockey conference game between the Saint Maryís Huskies and the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds.
Quote:
Well, I went back and forth over my notes and scrutinized the scoresheet and remembered what I saw with my own four eyes. In Doyleís defence, I think eight of the 12 penalties he called against the Reds were warranted. UNB has shown a penchant for taking more penalties, and more untimely penalties, this season than any in recent memory. This night was no exception.

But four of the penalties were borderline or bogus, and Doyle let the Huskies get away with a minimum of three blatant infractions.

Antoine Houde-Caron was head-butted in front of his own bench but went to the penalty box alone. Chris Culligan was mugged after releasing a quick shot in the slot, and Travis Fullerton was run into while the goalie and three teammates were trying to kill off one of those aforementioned 5-on-3s.

So subtract four penalties from UNBís total and add three to SMUís and the power-play chances become 8-7, which is far more reasonable and, more importantly, far more representative of what was happening on the ice.

That would be fair, in other words.
Quote:
Iím all in favour of sportsmanship, which is why the gag order exists in the first place, but at what point does protecting paid officials from criticism become pure hogwash?

Everyone should be held accountable for his or her actions. Thatís why NFL replacement refs didnít give up their day jobs.
It is worth reading Bruce's entire column if you can get a copy of it.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote