View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 10:20 AM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLima View Post
There is one thing that has really messed up my mind during this NHL-conflict, and that’s when I read that Bettman & Co. wants a limit for contract lengths.

First of all, we need to get some things clear:

* The wage cap was proposed from the owners back in 2004/2005.

* Long-term contracts that last for about 12-15 years are a direct consequence of the cap, since it allows you to “circumvent the rules” and keep well-paid players below the cap.

* Signing up players on long-term contracts is something that the owners “like”.

My question is how come Bettman says he want a limit for contract lengths we he represents the owners? Or am I wrong with something?
As has been pointed out by a number of posters here and there, the owners simply can't control themselves (though don't ask me to explain the logic in that). Limiting the length of contracts keeps owners from getting tied into paying players over an extended period of time in which the player may well not be available for service to the team (due to injury or whatever). Certainly makes sense for the owners to have such limits in place (though not something that the players will want).

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote