Old
11-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Loved Leivo's board work. Extremely impressed after watching last night. That entire line was by far the best for team OHL. Other notables would probably be the shutdown pairing of Percy and De'melo. They absorbed the majority of the important defensive responsibilities and Russia got nothing on the PP.

Brett Richie was very impressive until he took that horrible penalty at the end of the game.

Unimpressed with Strome, Murphy. Koekoek really only got beat once which cost the team a goal, the rest of his game was decent. I looked to Murphy and Strome to run the offense and quarter back this team. They looked completely flat, Murphy is usually flying around the ice, he looked like he could barley skate. I really hope Murphy is cut from team Canada because he was underwhelming in the summer and once again i was extremely dissapointed with his play. Seemed uninspired. There are a lot of kids who can pick up the slack and want to be there. He seems to entitled.
This is the review that matches mine best so far. Leivo and Ritchie were effective with the power/cycling games, but they needed some help, they can't be expected to make and finish plays like some of the flashier players should have been doing. Monahan and Graovac were good too. McDavid had a few flashes, but you can't really expect much at his age.

I think Strome was the biggest disappointment up front for me. He's probably the one out of all of the forwards who is most expected to take a spot on the WJC team, and he was really flat and uninvolved. But that's actually a game I see from him frequently in the OHL too. I was just hoping he'd bring one of his better ones here as opposed to one of his invisible ones. He should be a better player than he is, he has the skills. Guys like Jenner and Laughton weren't as good as I thought they should be either. On top of their games, they should be great options for contributing shutdown/energy guys for Team Canada, and they only occasionally flashed that last night.

Murphy was like that on D too. I've been a big fan of Murphy over the years, but he has had some questionable games in the crunch lately, and I know he's capable of so much more than this. I hope they do bring him to Team Canada... but I hope it's because he's flying and being the star offensive generator he's capable of being instead of what we saw last night.

Koekkoek and Finn made some awful gaffes, Koekkoek's so costly on the tying goal. But I thought Koekkoek also jumped into the play effectively and was maybe the best skating D for team OHL on the night in general. Percy and Demelo were the most effective defensively. But they are sort of a quiet/intelligent combo, not one which intimidates with their style. The OHL D wasn't pressed very hard - I'm not sure how well this group as a whole could have handled the Russians if they had been coming at them full bore.

Subban is a rock and should have no trouble securing the Team Canada goalie spot. Binnington was ok, but the winning goal he let in was awful.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote