Thread: Proposal: Leafs - Avs
View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 11:01 AM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
It makes no sense to argue a difference of opinon. HF is hard headed enough that opinions rarely change, it just becomes a pissing contest. I'd prefer to debate tangible evidence.

The wonderful thing about Rogers sports package, is that it allows fans to have their selection of out of market games. I've watched numerous Avs games over the past few years, I couldn't even put a number on it. I played jr against Chris Stewart, I'm a big Matt Duchene fan (although I'm able to be realistic about his current status) and I was very interested to see how Landeskog played in the bigs.

O'Reilly seemed to always get the knod in critical situations, and the statistics back that up. The Avs didn't really have a 1, 2, 3 per say, it seemed to be more by committee. Of that committee, O'Reilly saw the most icetime.

And you're right, you didn't mention McGinn, I was speaking to the overall consensus that seems to be shared by Avs fans in this, and other threads. My apology for taking opinions as a whole, rather then individually.
For the majority of last year, O'Reilly and Landeskog were the most consistent, reliable players on the Avs. They developed chemistry early on and it worked throughout the season. You could put the two of them on the ice, in pretty much any situation, and you knew what you were going to get.

By comparision, you knew what you were going to get from Stastny, but his linemates were a huge question mark until McGinn and Jones joined his line with about 20 games left in the season. Would you want to trust Kevin Porter and Chuck Kobasew with significant ice time? What about Daniel Winnik when you need scoring?

Duchene's line was an even bigger question mark. Hejduk wasn't able to keep up with him any more, Mueller looked lost and a step behind everyone else, and the Avs didn't have the depth at wing so he ended up getting moved to LW, or playing with Mark Olver. Then he got hurt and the rest of the season didn't go very well.

Does this explain the 94 minute difference in ice time well enough that people can stop using it as definitive proof that O'Reilly is the Avs' 1C?

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote